French – West Seattle High School

0

We operate using comprehensive comprehensive input methodology. This means that we try to help students learn the language in a natural way, through immersion and using information just above the student’s skills. At levels one and two, we use the AIM program.

french one and two

Welcome to French 1 and 2! This is where we build a very solid communication base. To do this, we mainly use the language in the classroom in a fun and engaging way. You will acquire the language without even really thinking about it because you will be busy doing fun and engaging activities!

What do we do in class?

In class, we use a method called AIM, which stands for Accelerated Integrated Method. It’s accelerated, which means you learn REALLY fast, and it incorporates many different activities that address learning styles in different ways, including for visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners. This is done by incorporating gesture-based learning with songs, raps, stories and plays, games and puppets, and working as a whole class, in small groups and with partners. It’s an immersion class, which means that everyone only speaks French, even French 1! But don’t worry, there’s plenty of help for you to know how to say what you want to say.

AIM website

What can I expect for homework?

In French 1 and 2, we have homework on Monday evening. It takes 5-10 minutes and is designed to practice vocabulary or grammar (level 2). Vocabulary practice takes place on Quizlet.

How will I be graded?

This class uses standards-based notation. The standards for world languages ​​are communication (interpretive listening and reading, interpersonal speaking and writing, presentational speaking and writing), cultures, comparisons, connections, and communities. The scores are weighted so that communication accounts for 70% of the score and the other four standards constitute the remaining 30%. Practice is limited to 5% of the grade. The objective for French 1 is to reach the standard at the intermediate novice level, and for French 2 the level is high novice.


French Trois, Quatre and AP

Welcome to Advanced French! By the time you get to French 3, you are probably relatively comfortable communicating in the language and are now ready to make your language more complex and precise.

What do we do in class?

In French 3, 4 and AP we follow the 6 French AP themes. We spend 4-6 weeks on each theme, exploring different topics at different levels. We read articles, watch short video clips, work in class, in small groups and with partners, and explore the world through language. We also examine French and Francophone culture around the world by exploring cultural values ​​and traditions in various Francophone regions.

What can I expect for homework?

In French 3, 4/AP, we have homework on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. It takes 10-15 minutes to complete. On Monday, homework is to annotate (take notes on) that week’s article or infographic. On Tuesdays there is a kind of grammar practice. On Wednesday, students write five descriptive sentences with the vocabulary words of that week. We have vocabulary quizzes on Fridays and two tests/one semester. There is a final artistic project and presentation at the end of semester 1, and a presentation on a French-speaking country you have studied at the end of semester 2.

How will I be graded?

This class uses standards-based notation. The standards for world languages ​​are communication (interpretive listening and reading, interpersonal speaking and writing, presentational speaking and writing), cultures, comparisons, connections, and communities. The scores are weighted so that communication accounts for 70% of the score and the other four standards constitute the remaining 30%. Practice is limited to 5% of the grade. The objective for French 3 is to reach the standard at the low intermediate level, for French 4 the level is medium intermediate and for French AP the level is high intermediate.

Share.

Comments are closed.