Graduates of 5 universities in Europe can apply for a 3-year UK visa: List

  • A new UK visa aims to attract alumni from the world’s top 50 universities.
  • The High Potential Individual Visa allows graduates to settle in the UK for up to 3 years without a job offer.
  • The 50-person list includes colleges in France, Switzerland, Sweden and Germany.

The British government has revamped its immigration system with the aim of attracting what it considers to be the best graduates in the world.

Anyone who has graduated from 50 of the world’s top universities and colleges in the past five years can now apply for a High Potential Individual (HPI) visa. As Insider previously reported, they won’t need to have a job offer, and their families can also join.

Those who hold a Ph.D. will be able to stay for three years – former holders of a bachelor’s or master’s degree can stay for two years. They will need to apply for another visa once their HPI visa expires. It does not depend on nationality but on the university from which they graduated.

The visa costs £715. Applicants will also need to pay a supplement to the UK’s National Health Service and have £1,270 (about 1,490 euros or $1,604) in funds to prove they can support themselves. A fee of £210 is required to verify that their qualifications are genuine.

It’s all part of the UK government’s shift to a “skills-based immigration system” since leaving the European Union. The country wants to attract highly qualified graduates to work in sectors such as finance, technology and science.

Every year, UK officials compile a list of what they consider to be the top 50 higher education institutions in the world. To qualify, a university must be included in two out of three of either; The Times Higher Education World University Rankings, Quacquarelli Symonds World University Rankings or the Academy of World University Rankings.

The list, which has drawn criticism for excluding colleges from Africa, South Asia and Latin America, is dominated by North American institutions, but also includes colleges from France, Switzerland, Sweden and from Germany.

Insider has listed the top 5 eligible European universities:

  • Federal Polytechnic School of Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland
  • ETH Zurich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology), Switzerland
  • Karolinska Institute, Sweden
  • Paris Sciences et Lettres — PSL Research University, France
  • University of Munich (LMU Munich), Germany

Read the full list on UK government website.


Comments are closed.